Project Bike – Exhaust Mock Up 09.08.11 /Leave a comment
When it came to the exhaust, we were very clear on what we were trying to achieve. We were hoping to arrive at Vincent-esque style exhaust header-pipes because they’re both V-Twin engines.
Our engine is a Harley sportster and therefore utilises a 2 into 1 exhaust system. But it just wouldn’t have looked right for the design of bike we were after. Dave Friend, who continues to impress with his clear vision and attention to detail, took the decision we should instead have two individual pipes; this would enable us to achieve the right look. If we had just used the 2 into 1 system, the style balance would’ve looked wrong because the clutch cover casing would have been more visually prominent and thus making the bike look out of balance if viewed from behind.
We used this style of the front exhaust pipe in the real build. To build it, we put pie cuts in old pipes. Using a slitting disc cutter, we formed the bends giving us the radius we wanted.
When it came to the actual build, the top bend was a challenge on the rear exhaust pipe because we needed it to run above the oil filter housing. But would not be deterred!